Monday, November 2, 2009

Broccoli Salad


One of my families favorite side salads is a good ol' Broccoli Salad.  A month or so ago I made a Broccoli Salad and posted a picture of it on my Instragram account and I was surprised at how many people seemed not to be familiar with this salad!  This salad is so good, that sometimes I just make a batch and eat off it for the week!  So, I thought I would share the recipe with you all today!


Start out by making the sauce!  Mix 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons white vinegar!  It will look almost glazy!


Then it's onto the salad - Broccoli, Mandarin Oranges, Red Onion, Bacon, Raisins and Slivered Almonds!


I like my broccoli chopped pretty small - makes it much easier for eating!

Measure approx 8 cups of chopped broccoli in a bowl!


Then add all the side ingredients - I personally don't measure.  But, here are some measurements you can go with:  1 can mandarin oranges, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 6 to 8 crumbled bacon strips (or buy the little bags at the store), 1/2 cup raisins (I prefer golden raisins).  Feel free to add another ingredient or remove one you don't like.  Not everybody likes the same things.  My mother usually doesn't put mandarin oranges in hers.

 Mix it all up!

Add the sauce and ENJOY!
Here is the recipe:


Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons white vinegar
Salad:
8 cups broccoli florets 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained 1/2 cup chopped red onion 6 to 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (or you can buy the little bags of them all ready crumbled) 1/2 cup raisins (I prefer golden Raisens)
Slivered Almonds (optional)
In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, oranges, onion, bacon and raisins. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 10-12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment