Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2-3 cups of powdered sugar (to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla

With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together for about 3 minutes on a medium speed until very smooth.  Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and the bottom of the bowl.

Add the vanilla and mix a few seconds.  Slowly add the powdered sugar.  Keep adding until you get the desired sweetness and thickness.

I find if you are going to piping with this recipe it is best to refrigerate it for a few hours first.  I generally make it first thing in the morning and stick in the fridge until I'm ready to use it!  I always get complemented on this frosting.  I like it with a strong cream cheese taste, so I generally only add about 2 cups of powdered sugar.

Variations:

If I'm using this recipe for a Carrot cake I will add some freshly ground ginger to it.

Add some scrapings from a vanilla bean is great for a Red Velvet cake!

Add some grated for dried coconut to it for a Coconut cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment