Friday, April 22, 2011

Caramel French Toast

I'm up in Grantsville, at my in-laws, and my MIL shared this recipe with me. We are making it for in the morning and I can't wait to try it! I'll leave a comment with my review tomorrow morning!

Ingredients:
10 (1 3/4 inch thick) slices French bread - cut off ends
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups of milk or half and half
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon and Sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine - melted

Combine brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly. Pour syrup into 13x9x2 inch greased baking dish. Arrange bread slices over syrup squishing them to fit in the pan. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Stir well. Pour over bread. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Before baking, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes uncovered. Pour melted butter over the top when done baking!

1 comment: