Friday, February 18, 2011

Dyed Pasta


I dyed some pasta pink, red, and purple for a Valentines Day art project and decided I would share. It is such a fun and inexpensive craft project. We glued the pasta to a plate to make heart shapes, etc for V-Day, but you could do so many things with it. As a kid I did this and would make necklaces.

I decided I am going to dye a bunch of different pastas in a bunch of colors and just have them in bags in my craft closet, so we can just pull them out whenever and not have it be a production each time.

To dye the pasta all you need is:

- Pasta in different shapes and sizes
- Food coloring
- Rubbing alcohol
- Several bowls

You don't really have to measure the rubbing alcohol, but I would say for 1/2 box of pasta I used about 1/2 cup. Use as much food coloring as you need to get the color you want. Also, to make it easier for some of the colors look at the different food coloring sets. The pink I got from my Neon Food Coloring was way prettier then I got from the red food coloring as I was on my way to making red. Just mix in a bowl for about 10 minutes. I would just stir it once every minute for a few seconds. I then strained the pasta to get rid of the the excess liquid to make for faster drying. I then spread all the pasta out on wax paper to dry.

It was seriously dry in probably 10-15 minutes. The rubbing alcohol helps it dry fast.

Have fun and happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment